Forsyth Middle College
2100 Silas Creek Parkway
Winston-Salem, NC 27103
Phone: (336) 734-7437
Fax: (336) 734-7467
Website: Forsyth Middle College
Hours: 9:30 am – 5:15 pm
Principal: Sharon Abercrombie
Forsyth Middle College Overview
- Forsyth Middle College is a small non-traditional high school within the WSFCS System, located on the main campus of Forsyth Technical Community College.
- Forsyth Middle College is for juniors and seniors who are at least 16 years old, are academically motivated, and mature enough to handle the college environment.
- Forsyth Middle College offers individualized instruction in high school core curriculum allowing students who want to work faster the chance to move on.
- Forsyth Middle College offers the opportunity to take college courses while completing high school.
- Upon completion of graduation requirements, students will receive a High School Diploma.
Forsyth Middle College Mission Statement
Forsyth Middle College is a program designed for High School students that may need an alternative academic environment to do his or her best academic work. The Forsyth County Middle College will provide a student with a student-centered learning environment where each student will focus on individual educational choices, academic and vocational, relevant to a successful future.
The Forsyth Middle College Professional Learning Community
What is a Professional Learning Community (PLC) ?
“Educators committed to working collaboratively in ongoing processes of collective inquiry and action research to achieve better results for the students they serve. Professional learning communities operate under the assumption that the key to improved learning for students is continuous job-embedded learning for educators.” Learning by Doing (2006)
Why do we have regular Professional Learning Community meetings and record/post our minutes?
To be a fully functioning, vitally growing Professional Learning Community requires the ongoing work, dedication, and commitment of the Forsyth Middle College staff. We are dedicated to creating, implementing, and constantly adapting the best possible program for our students. Part of that dedication is carving out time to reflect on our teaching, strive to improve, and be accountable about the process.
What’s the point of a Professional Learning Community?
While one of the biggest obstacles to any faculty becoming a Professional Learning Community are paradigms, or being willing to change from the way things have always been done in the past, Forsyth Middle College faculty are adept at thinking outside the box … whether it means adapting a lesson for the learner, re-examining why we are teaching the lesson in the first place, or how we measure what our students are really learning.
By opening an ongoing dialogue with our colleagues about what we are doing, how we are doing it, and whether or not our efforts are successful, the Forsyth Middle College faculty continually revitalizes our curriculum, teaching strategies, and assessments.
Directions to Forsyth Middle College