Hill Middle School
Hill Middle School
2200 Tryon Street
Winston-Salem, NC 27107
Phone: (336) 771-4515
Fax: (336) 771-4519
Website: Hill Middle School
Hours: 7:55 am – 2:40 pm
Principal: Ingrid Medlock
Assistant Principal: Ruth Cassaberry
Assistant Principal: Steve Motsinger
Hill Middle School Information
Hill Arts Magnet Middle School focuses on an educational curriculum designed to address the demands of the 21st Century. Enhancing that experience is the integration of visual and performing arts, computer technology, and extra-curricular programs.
The Hill Arts Magnet Middle School students participate in arts and technology experiences while accelerating their learning through various relevant and rigorous instructional activities created to close academic achievement gaps for all students.
Hill Arts Magnet Middle School Mission Statement
We are a diverse school family using the arts and technology to ignite academic excellence.
Hill Arts Magnet Middle School: Arts In Focus
Hill Arts Magnet Middle School believes in a strong liberal arts program. We have encore offerings in drama, technical theatre, band, orchestra, choral music, piano, dance, and film. The arts focus at Hill Arts Magnet Middle School requires student participation in arts related performances.
It is expected that students at Hill Arts Magnet Middle School will perform in required performances several times per year, especially in the Arts Major classes.
Throughout the year, students at Hill Arts Magnet Middle School will attend arts performances and special productions. We take great pride in our student field experience program. Broadway productions, professional performances, musical programs and dramatic field experiences are part of the field trips offered.
Hill Arts Magnet Middle School students have had many opportunities to work with professional artists in our artist in residency program. These experiences are special privileges and must be earned by students who show academic responsibility and artistic interest.
Hill Arts Magnet Middle School: Character Education
Character Education helps students learn to work together in an atmosphere of respect for themselves and each other and for the world in which they live. By understanding and practicing ethical behavior, children learn skills that will serve them well in their jobs, families and communities as adults.
At Hill Arts Magnet Middle School, Character Education is a part of our curriculum. We will teach the following character traits that are recommended by the WSFC School Board: Responsibility, Respect, Self Discipline, Caring, Integrity, Perseverance and Courage.
Hill Arts Magnet Middle School: Bottom Line Rules
We are committed to:
- No Violence
- No Drugs
- No Stealing
- No Harrassment/Bullying
Hill Arts Magnet Middle School: Uniform Dress Code
Hill Arts Magnet Middle School follows a uniform dress code. All students must participate. The dress code outlines the acceptable form of attire approved to be worn by students at Hill Arts Magnet Middle School. Every component of the student uniform should be appropriate in length and size. Appropriate is defined as that which properly covers the body and which is in good taste. The principal shall have the final decision about the appropriateness of the length/size of clothing.
Hill Middle School Uniform Dress Code – General Considerations
Each student has the responsibility to dress appropriately for the school environment. Wearing apparel, hair, and general appearance shall not disrupt the classroom atmosphere, shall not be unusually provocative or shall not violate health and safety rules of the school. The guidelines for dress and grooming are provided to assist parents and shall apply to all students. Student dress and grooming shall be neat, clean, and follow the general guidelines below.
- Students are prohibited from wearing additional “patches”, pins, tattoos, earrings, jewelry or any other item that may be considered lewd, profane, obscene, suggestive, vulgar, or distractive which may harass, threaten, intimidate, or demean other groups; or which display illegal merchandise or contraband; or any item which may distract from the educational process.
- Pierced ears for earrings are acceptable. Other visible body piercing is not allowed.
- Head coverings, including but not limited to caps, hats, bandannas, “doo” rags, hair curlers, sunglasses, or any “gang” symbols are prohibited.
- Oversize clothing is prohibited. The waistband of shorts, slacks, skirts, and similar garments shall not be worn below the waist. If belts or suspenders are worn, they shall be worn in place and fastened. “Sagging” and/or “low-riding” is prohibited.
- Sunglasses or shades may not be worn.
- The principal may designate certain days during the year as “free dress down days” and students will not have to wear uniforms on those days only.
- No component of the uniform may be of denim material.
Hill Middle School Uniform Dress Code – Button-up Shirt/Knit Polo Shirt/Turtleneck/Sweatshirts/Sweaters
- Appropriate styles include:
- Solid colors in red, black or white
- Button-up shirts and knit polo shirts are collared
- No hoods
- No extra accessories including sequins, fringe,ruffles, lace, etc.
- Students may not wear sweaters or sweatshirts around the waist, neck or shoulders
Hill Middle School Uniform Dress Code – Jackets/Coats
Must not advertise or exhibit any likeness of alcohol, drugs, tobacco, etc. or be in anyway lewd, profane, obscene, suggestive, vulgar or in any way harass, threaten, intimidate or demean other groups or be distractive to the educational process. Heavy coats may not be worn around in the building.
Hill Middle School Uniform Dress Code – Pants/Skirts/Jumpers/Bermuda Shorts/Capris
Acceptable styles include:
- Color: Khaki
- Any brand (exception: Dickie brand is highly discouraged)
- No spandex
- No zip-offs, low riders, bell bottoms, sagging pants or carpenter pants (pockets on the outside)
- No warm-ups or wind suits
- Jumpers, skirts and Bermuda shorts must be worn at knee length or below – no slits
Hill Middle School Uniform Dress Code – Shoes
Shoes – Colors/Types Allowed
- White, brown or black
- Tennis shoes MUST be worn in PE
- Tennis shoes MUST be laced and tied
Shoes – Colors/Types Not Allowed
- No platforms or flip-flops
- No lighted soles
- No open-toed shoes
Hill Middle School Uniform Dress Code – Other Considerations
- All backpacks must be able to fit in locker & are not allowed to be carried throughout the school day.
- Small hand purses are permitted.
- No visible piercing other than at the ear allowed.
- No hats, head coverings or sunglasses allowed.
- Tattoos must be covered.
- The principal may designate certain days during the school year as “free dress” days.
- Hardship Status
- Parents who find it difficult to comply with the requirements of the uniform dress code due to financial hardship may request assistance from office personnel or home school coordinator at the school.
Directions to Hill Middle School